04 September 2012

Midair feelings.

So here I am, on day one of my trip around our globe. It’s been quite a week, with all kinds of last minute arrangements, a birthday to celebrate and a Vietnamese couchsurfer staying at my place. But all the pieces of the puzzle came nicely together and I am now midair on my way to Doha in Qatar for a stopover and a connecting flight to Bangkok, Thailand.

Am I feeling delighted? Hm, not really. Am I sad? Not at all! It’s something in between, a feeling hard to express in words. I somehow feel similar to other trips I’ve made. The only difference is the duration, right? Am I really on my way for eight months? I just can’t grab it.

All of a sudden, the lack of routine and not having a tight schedule is getting to me. I have no clue what I will be doing tomorrow, except for making my way to my first host.
“We ‘ll see” is a phrase that I use quite often, but this time it is brutal reality and I am somehow afraid of it. The unknown and the unforeseen are awaiting me and I can only hope that those two characters will not hit me too hard.

I am having trouble already to adapt to the right timezone. I guess a direct flight would have been better to set my mind and body in the right zone right away. Well, it’s a low budget thing after all, isn’t it?


As a PS to my previous post, I can officially announce that drunken promises are not kept. At least not by two of my friends…

1 comment:

  1. Hi David,

    I am really excited to see that you have begun your trip. Don't worry about perhaps being uncomfortable at first, you will get into the swing of things. I look forward to reading future posts of your adventures. You are free - enjoy!

    - From your old transiberian friend.

    ReplyDelete