08 October 2010

Run, David, run!

As usual on Friday, I left work around 3pm. I prefer working a bit longer on Thursday, so I can extend the weekend a bit on Friday. Today, it created me some time to do something I’ve been wanting to do ever since Lake Baikal: go for a run.
Lake Baikal would ‘ve been the ideal occasion for a morning run. Except for the cold and the darkness… Not the ideal circumstances. I can cope with cold, but I need to see where I’m going, specially on a Siberian road full of potholes.
I was pleased to feel that my heartrate was rising. The lungs opened up and after a while I got all sweaty. Oh boy, doesn’t that feel good?
I was surprised with the ease I completed the 6 km run. After 4 weeks of no sports at all (except for the climbing of The Great Wall, which was a bit more intensive).
The wind blowing in my face to cool me down, the sun caressing my skin, a couple of guys fishing, and some people doing their afternoon walk. Aren’t I a lucky guy? I try to imagine what those people or thinking of. What is crossing the fisherman’s mind as I jog by, saying “good afternoon”? What is the lady with the stroller thinking about when I give her a friendly smile and wave to her kid. What is this other jogger worrying about?

Ah, the joy of life! Run, David. Run.

No comments:

Post a Comment