01 December 2012

Surfer's Paradise

Couchsurfing is not only a nice way of travelling on a low budget and breaking the habit of checking in and out of hostels, hotels and lodges. More than that it gives you the opportunity to look into people’s houses, to look into people’s lives.
Toni is an experienced host. She’s seen people pass from all over the world and the references on her profile made me quite sure about the request I sent her.

I was happily accepted and warmly welcomed into her house. The first day is always a bit odd. It’s like two dogs that meet for the first time and start sniffing on each other.
We went out for dinner, chatted time away and as the days pass, we are getting to know each other better.


When I encounter a small problem to find a bus to get to my next destination, I humbly ask her if I can stay another night. “No problem” is the short yet very clear answer. I passed a great time with her, and we had a lot fun, talked and laughed a lot and got to know each other quite well, I think.  Surfing her couch – that in reality is a king size bed – was a great experience.

On the last night of my stay, I pack my bags with a mixed feeling. I’m going to miss this nice person, but I guess it’s time to move on and get to my next destination. We sit outside on her doorstep, enjoying the end of what has been a beautiful evening, while we talk about our plans for the next days. As the conversation goes on, these plans are changing quite rapidly. I’m unpacking again.

No comments:

Post a Comment