11 December 2011

Expect the unexpected.


Have you ever been invited to have dinner with someone you never met? Did you ever spend an entire evening at a complete stranger’s home? I can only recommend it, after what I’ve done yesterday…

Shannon saw my profile on couchsurfing, and wanted to meet me for a drink and a walk through the town of Genk. We spent a couple of hours together, and she ended up inviting me to her hosts place for dinner the next evening.

It felt kind of awkward and strange to be invited for dinner by people I’d never seen before in my entire life. And on top of that: they weren’t personally inviting me, they sent somebody else out to deliver the message.
I decided to jump into deep water and swim…

So there I was, entering somebody’s privacy, sitting at their table, talking to people I just met and already feeling very welcome and comfortable.
This evening turned out to be wonderful. We had a delicious home cooked meal, chatted the night away, and ok, I admit, some alcohol joined the party as well…

I always thought that this was only possible in other countries, in other cultures. Turns out that this spirit is also to be found within 5 minutes from my doorstep.
After this wonderful night, and in times where some people want to split this tiny country, I can only quote Mr John: “Potverdekke, it’s great to be a Belgian!"

2 comments:

  1. nice doing the CS-project! Couchsurfing is great! You shoul do it in every big city on your travels!

    ReplyDelete