19 June 2011

Alea jacta est.

I’ve always loved traveling. I like to soak up other people’s way of life. I’m keen on mother nature’s different appearances. I ‘ve learned to appreciate doing things in a less comfortable way when away from home. To travel is to live and to experience.

Often have I met people that were

traveling for several months. Either concentrating on a particular part of our world, or trying to see as much countries and continents as possible, but in both cases they were enjoying life to the fullest. I’ve always admired those people, and I’ve always been jealous while listening to their stories.

So many questions always crossed my mind. How do they do this? How do they pay for it? Don’t they have to go to work? Did you really quit your job? What happens when you get back home? Don’t you miss your family and friends?

On my last trip through Russia, Mongolia and China I was the only one of our group that had to go home straight away. All the rest would go on traveling for several more weeks, if not months.
Some even were carrying everything they owned in their backpack! Things that didn’t fit in their backpack were sold or given away, and they were going to settle in other parts of the world. I’m not jealous of that last category, I must say, although I have an endless admiration for their way of living and their perseverance.
No matter what those guys or girls told me, it would always remain a dream for me. At least, that’s what I thought.
But that last trip made me think. (Hey, I’m not using the word “dream” anymore!)
I started to gather some information, had a good look at the map of the world, looked at my budget, and decided to go for it.

September 2012 will be the start of my dream coming true. I’m going to travel the world for six months. I’ll catch a plane and fly away from this rain.
Some preparations have been made, and my itinerary is more or less known. There’s still a lot of homework to do and I still have some unanswered questions, but a good preparation is half the battle.

I still can’t believe that I’m really going to do it, but there’s no way back.
The die is cast.

No comments:

Post a Comment