03 April 2011

It’s not what you know.

Last week, all the locks of the apartment I live in were changed with only one purpose: open all the different doors with just one key.
After an incredible amount  of nagging and whining, the promotor and real estate guy of our block yielded and kept a promise made three years ago. It’s quite a hassle, you know, dragging around separate keys for the gates, your front door, your apartment door, the cellar, the garage, and in my case even the elevator (it ends up directly in the hall of my apartment and therefore can only be operated with a key).
Little did I know of what was going to happen next…


Thursday evening, like every other Thursday, I left for a good game of squash.
While standing in the locker room, getting changed to let all the stress out, I realized that I’d done something stupid. Something very stupid. I got hot and cold at the same time. For a second, my heart stopped beating. Frustration turned into a slight form of panic. Help! I locked myself out!!!
When I left, I was a bit in a hurry, stepped into the elevator, hopped in my car and rushed to the gym where I play squash. But I forgot to take my key with me…
I immediately realized that this was a serious problem. How would I get back in?
Well, the right dose of luck and some contingency can help.

The company that changed the locks is owned by an old friend of mine. Luckily enough, I still had his number in my mobile phone. I called him and cried out for help.

And so it happens that you come home from a game of squash, and find yourself drinking a Duvel with an old friend, only moments after that friend broke into your apartment, the broken lock still on the table as a silent witness of what just happened.
It’s not always what you know, that’s important, it’s who you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment